What is included
The Paulo Freire Course Package contains a wealth of material for activists, organizers and change agents everywhere. You will initially have access to our starter course, Paulo Freire and Critical Pedagogy, and the second course Communities and Conflict. Further course modules will become available each term, giving six extensive course modules in total.
You will receive:
1. Paulo Freire and Critical Pedagogy - an introductory course on Paulo Freire, key themes in his pedagogy and how these might be applied in social analysis, action-research and community-based organizing.
2. Communities and Conflict, incorporating Situation Analysis - understanding your role as an activist, organizer or change agent, and the situation of the organization or institution in which you work or are involved - and Community Analysis, a systematic study of your immediate environment - the community, neighbourhood or town in which you live or work.
3. Work and the Social Economy, incorporating Economic Analysis, an introduction to analysis of the economy at the local, regional and national levels; Sociological Change, the analysis of social groups, classes and sectors; and the Living Conditions Study, an analysis of the real living conditions of people in your country.
4. Ideology, Politics and Conscientization, incorporating Political Analysis - analysis of the political reality of your country and the key events in the political arena; Faith Communities - understanding how faith communities can act as agents of change, and the forces blocking them; Social Psychology - a study of the collective myths and underlying conflicts in the environment or group with which you work; and Conscientization and Change - tools for analysis of change - how interventions can reinforce or transform the social reality.
5. Globalization and Change - a study of international strategies and the analysis of global trends and resistance movements.
6. Strategy, Planning and Practice - we guide you through the steps you need to take to turn your vision into a plan for concrete action.
Why you need this course
If you are involved as a community or political activist, organizer or change agent, the actions you take are never 'neutral'. They may work to further change and transformation, or they may - unintentionally - actually serve to reinforce what you hope to change.
As activists, we have a duty first to understand the contexts in which we are working if we are to be truly effective in transforming the environment around us.
Paulo Freire understood that we had not only to "read the word" but "read the world" in order to become more effective in our actions. The tools and approaches we introduce through this course package have been developed by organizations and activists working in the process of social transformation over many years, going back to the work of Paulo Freire himself.
Dates and Duration
There are six course modules in the package. The next course modules will start the week beginning 15 September 2014. There will be 10 webinars included for each course module, with two course modules per term, but if you cannot attend the webinars you will still be able to get access to the webinar content. You do not have to complete the course modules in one term but can extend them for up to 12 months (or more on request).
Once we receive your payment, we will send you details of the course dates within one business day. You will get access to two course modules per term.
You do not have to complete the course assignments, but you will get much more out of the course if you do. Put simply, the benefit you and your organization receive from the courses will be directly related to the work you put in.