3 items tagged "community organizing"
Results 1 - 3 of 3
Mobilizing communities for changeCommunity Leadership training builds on the Community Organizing sessions to look more specifically at the challenges facing those who perform a leadership role in their organizations or communities. Participants learn about different types of leadership, communication skills and the basics of spotting and developing issues. Models of decision-making are discussed and we analyze appropriate structures for different types of groups. This programme is a must for community-based leaders who wish to be more effective in using their skills to advance their goals in their own community.
Organizing for change
There is no better educational process than to be organizing and taking action for change. These sessions use ideas and strategies from the work of Paulo Freire, Saul Alinsky and others to help participants to think more clearly about their practice in terms of:
- Building alliances, networking, practical steps to engage and retain support for your cause;
- Decision-making, organizational structures, forms of leadership;
- Conflict resolution, group dynamics, negotiating, dialogue;
- Strategy-building, planning, allocating resources;
- Tactics for action, creativity, renewing enthusiasm for action;
- Action-Reflection, training, learning from experience.
Mobilizing communities for change
Saul Alinsky was a formidable community organizer in Chicago whose books inspired a generation of activists, including a young Barack Obama. Many organizations in the US and elsewhere have adopted Alinsky's techniques in mobilizing their communities. These workshops focus on the work of Saul Alinsky, his techniques of organizing and his relevance to us today.